Lille Boss Paulo Fonseca Has Conceded That It Will Be Difficult To Keep Hold Of Jonathan David

Lille boss Paulo Fonseca has conceded that it will be difficult to keep hold of Jonathan David amid interest from Manchester United.

The forward has been in impressive form this season, scoring nine goals and providing three assists in 15 appearances for Lille, while he also started all three of Canada’s group games at the 2022 World Cup.

Manchester United are currently being linked with the 22-year-old, as they look to strengthen in the final third after Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract was terminated in November.

They had been heavily linked with a move for Cody Gakpo, but he recently signed for Premier League rivals Liverpool, leaving United to turn their attention to other options.

With Chelsea also said to be among David’s admirers, Fonseca has admitted that the striker could leave the French club in the near future.

The Lille head coach told La Voix des Sports: “It will be difficult to keep Jonathan David at the club next season.

“There are not many strikers with his skills and numbers in Europe. He’s just 22. I think top European clubs will try to sign Jonathan David.”

The Canada international, who scored in Wednesday’s 2-0 win over Clermont , recently talked up the prospect of completing a move to the Premier League.

David is currently under contract until 2025, and in his 111 appearances for Lille, he has racked up 41 goals and registered eight assists.